Last Revised: October 4, 2011
The Starbucks name and reputation were built on a foundation of trust. This Starbucks Privacy Statement ("Policy") describes how Starbucks and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies ("Starbucks") collects, uses and discloses personal information of customers through our Canadian websites and online services, including Starbucks.ca, and other Starbucks owned or operated websites and online services that link to this policy (collectively, the "Sites"), through our programs and in our physical stores ("Services"). This Policy does not apply to websites and services (including Starbucks websites and services) that display or link to different privacy statements. Websites and services co-branded with other partners may display or link to a joint privacy statement or separate privacy statements of our partners in addition to our Policy. For the purposes of this Policy, "Personal Information", means information that can be used to identify you individually, such as your name and address.
What Type of Information Does Starbucks Collect?
Personal Information that may be collected by Starbucks may include:
- Name, postal address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Financial account information, such as credit card number and other payment information.
We may also collect information about you such as:
- If you create an account on our website, including a My Starbucks Reward Program account, or register a Starbucks Card - your username, password, your city of birth, your birthday and mobile phone number (optional). At registration, you are given the opportunity to specify your communication preferences. You may change these preferences at any time.
- If you are a My Starbucks Reward program account holder, we will link your Personal Information to your purchase activity made using your Starbucks Card at participating Starbucks locations within Canada and the United States to your account, and we will use your Personal Information in order to fulfill any benefits earned under the program.
- If you use our mobile applications to buy goods using a Starbucks Card - information such as your device ID, your location and stores near you and visited by you may be collected.
- If you take a survey or interact with us in various other ways - demographics information and information about subjects that may interest you.
Starbucks may also collect aggregated data or anonymized data that does not directly identify you
We may combine information we collect about you with information we receive from third parties who have consent to share your information with us.
How Does Starbucks Use Information About You?
Starbucks may use information about you for purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you on our Sites or with our Services. For example, we may use information about you to:
- Process and manage your purchase and use of Starbucks products and services, including your accounts and program participation.
- Respond to your customer service inquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on our Sites without reference to any identifiable personal information, or take other actions in response to your inquiries or other Site activities.
- Create personalized promotions by combining your personal information with non personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through our programs.
- Communicate with you about your orders or purchases, your services, accounts and program participation, a contest you have entered, and your requests for information.
- If you opt-in to receive such information, communicate with you about our brands, products, events or other promotional purposes, including co-branded offers and affiliate and partner offers.
- We use your Personal Information as part of our Lost/Stolen Card Recovery Program and to provide enhanced benefits to Starbucks registered cardholders as listed in the My Starbucks Reward Card program terms and conditions. If you do not wish to receive any materials associated with your use of the Starbucks Card from us, you may click here to change your communication preferences. Please note that if you choose to not receive materials associated with use of your Starbucks Card from us, you will not be able to receive some of the benefits available under the My Starbucks Reward Card program.
Does Starbucks Share Personal Information with Third Parties?
Starbucks shares your personal information in limited ways.
We may share personal information about you with others with your express consent.
We may also share information with companies that provide support services to us (such as credit card processors, mailing houses or website hosts) and that help us market our products and services (such as email vendors). These companies may use information about you to perform their functions on our behalf.
If you participate in any blog or other online forum on our Sites, any personal information that you post on our Sites may be shared with other forum participants and Site visitors.
In the event of a merger, acquisition, financing, or sale of assets or any other situation involving the transfer of some or all of our business assets, Starbucks may disclose personal information to those involved in the negotiation or transfer.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
What Choices Does Starbucks Offer About Personal Information?
Starbucks offers choices for you to request to update or change your personal information and how we communicate with you. Here are some of the ways you can request changes:
- Follow the opt-out instructions in promotional emails we send you.
- Log in to your Starbucks.ca account, if you have one, and visit the profile management section to manage your contact information (SMS text, email and postal address) preferences and to update your personal information.
- Call 1-800-STARBUC.
If you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us, we may still send you non-promotional communications such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
You can usually choose to set your browser to warn you when a cookie is being sent or to remove or reject cookies. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings. If you choose to remove or reject cookies, it will affect many features or Services on our Sites.
How is Personal Information Secured?
Starbucks takes reasonable steps to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security to help prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of personal information.
While we take these reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal information, no system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Our Sites are general audience sites that are not designed nor intended to collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. To respect the privacy of children, children under the age of 13 should not provide any Personal Information on the Sites. We ask that parents supervise their children while online.
Privacy Statement Updates
We may update this privacy statement from time to time. When we do so, we will post the new privacy statement on this page and change the date at the top of the policy.
We encourage you to check the date of our privacy statement when you visit this Site for any updates or changes. We will notify you of any modified versions of the privacy statement that might materially affect the way we use or disclose your personal information.
Questions and Feedback
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy.
Starbucks Customer Relations can be contacted online, at (800) 235-2883 or by postal mail at Starbucks Customer Relations, PO Box 3717, Seattle, WA 98124-3717.